- Workplace category
Lead with dignity and respect.
Commit to all aspects of a healthy workplace. Lead by example with positive behaviours, attitudes and work practices.
- Do you have a clear vision and set of values for your workplace?
- Do you have policies and plans that underpin your commitment to workplace health and wellbeing?
- Do you encourage inclusive and transparent styles of management, with availability to talk through issues or ideas?
- Are your leaders role-modelling healthy work practices?
What you can do
Always treat employees with dignity and respect. Be sensitive to personal and professional challenges.
1. Values and vision
Communicate your organisational values and vision – what you believe in and what you want to achieve.
- Create a mission, vision and values statement for your workplace commitment to health and wellbeing
- Set priorities for increased workplace diversity and inclusion
- Make your mission, vision and values accessible to all employees and promote these regularly
2. Policies, strategies and plans
In consultation with your employees, regularly review policies, strategies and plans for relevance and accuracy.
- Lead with an overarching workplace health and wellbeing policy
- Make policies and procedures accessible – online and in hardcopy
- Get employee feedback and communicate updates to any policies, strategies or plans
3. Commitment and application
Keep everyone on the same page when it comes to being a healthy workplace.
- Lead with openness so employees understand why and how changes will occur
- Create a workplace health team that considers human resources, WHS and wellbeing
- Encourage an ‘open door’ policy so employees can provide input or discuss concerns
4. Evaluation and accountability
Track the progress of key healthy workplace activities and plans. Assign accountability.
- Regularly review decisions to check decision-makers are being impartial
- Make sure policies, practices and work design promote positive physical and mental health
- Make sure people management systems and processes reflect health and wellbeing expectations
Please note: These are only suggested resources. Organisations should consider their own needs when selecting resources to use.
Values and vision
- Victorian Public Sector Commission: Vision and values – Information on understanding visions and values, measures, and further resources.
- SafeWork Australia: Building positive workplace culture and leadership – Animations on the following five areas: supporting workers, building positive workplace culture and leadership, supporting employers, supporting other stakeholders, and building and translating evidence.
- Diversity Council Australia: Building Inclusion Synopsis: An Evidence-Based Model of Inclusive Leadership – PDF download of a model and information on inclusive leadership.
- Indeed: Vision, Mission and Values Statements: Definitions and Tips – Information on the benefits, how to and tips for writing a visions, mission and values statements.
Policies, strategies and plans
- NSW Government: Workplace Policies and Procedures Checklist – Information on what a workplace policy is, benefits of having workplace policies, developing and introducing workplace policies, policy checklist, and types of workplace policies.
- PWC: Mental health in the workplace: Insights for Boards – This page discussed what Directors should be looking out for not only in their workforces and executive teams, but within their respective boards as well.
- SA Government Health: Health and wellbeing policy template – templates and resources for businesses.
- NSW Government: Policy Resource Kit – Information in what to include in a mental health policy, anti-bullying policy, anti-discrimination and harassment policy, flexible work policy and return to work program.
- SafeWork Australia: Differences between WHS and wellbeing – Explains the difference between WHS and wellbeing and offers further resources and reading.
Commitment and application
- Comcare: Managing risks – Information on managing risks including governance, prevention, response and recovery.
- Australian Human Rights Commission: Chapter 6: Leading practices and strategies in the workplace – Information on strategies for the workplace.
- SafeWork Australia: Work health and safety consultation, cooperation and coordination Code of Practice – PDF download of code of practice.
- SafeWork SA: Consultation & worker representation – Information on the benefits of consultation, employer responsibilities, worker responsibilities and activities with other duty holders.
- Fair Work Ombudsman: – Consultation and cooperation in the workplace – Information on working at best practice, consultation and cooperation in the workplace, legal requirement to consult, using best practice to support consultation and cooperation in the workplace, a best practice checklist and further links and resources.
Evaluation and accountability
- WorkSafe QLD: Evaluation factsheet – PDF download on evaluation success factors and how to gather data.
- CDC Government: Workplace health promotion evaluation – Information on how to carry out program evaluation.
- Harvard Business Review: How to Actually Encourage Employee Accountability – Article on how dignity, fairness, and restoration must form the backbone of ongoing performance-related conversations.
- BetterUp: How to create a culture of accountability in the workplace – Article on the importance of accountability, examples and a step-by-step guide to achieving it.
All businesses are different and face unique problems and challenges. Make your health and wellbeing program relevant for your business and your employees. It may take a few attempts to find the right strategies that work for your organisation.
To explore all potential workplace leadership strategies, download the information sheet.
Healthier Work can help you with practical and tailored work design ideas. Get free support and be recognised for your efforts by the ACT Government.Join now