Healthier Work is a free WorkSafe ACT program established to support employers to develop health and wellbeing initiatives within their workplace.
Healthier work aims to build the capacity of workplaces to develop and implement programs, policies and practices that lead to healthy environments and sustained employee healthy lifestyle changes in relation to increased physical activity levels, healthier eating behaviours, smoking reduction/cessation, reduction of harmful alcohol consumption, maintenance of healthy weight and improved social and emotional wellbeing.
Healthier Work supports ACT workplaces to develop and implement health and wellbeing programs through a range of free supportive resources including:
- a Guide to Promoting Health and Wellbeing in the Workplace (under review);
- resources to support the implementation of healthy lifestyle programs and policies;
- free tools, including an online Workplace Health and Wellbeing Score Card;
- links to workplace health and wellbeing providers; and
- training and support mechanisms for employers and workers.
To support workplaces in the area of social and emotional wellbeing, WorkSafe ACT launched the Mentally Healthier Workplaces initiative in February 2020. Workplaces can pledge to becoming a mentally healthier workplace and receive free support by Healthier Work to realise this commitment.
It makes good business sense for employers to invest in the health and wellbeing of their workers. The benefits to employers are increased worker morale and engagement, reduced workplace injuries and associated expenses, increased attraction and retention of staff, and improved corporate image.